Tuesday, January 17, 2012

acme cafe

Gastown used to be straight-up tacky. Tourist shops selling CANADA sweatshirts and hideous souveniers that end up in someone's white-elephant Secret Santa gift exchange next December.

But over the past few years Gastown underwent a makeover, a face-lift of sorts. No longer was it the loser on the playground but rather the new "it" girl. The crowd is trendy. The vibe is chill & the restaurants are in a new league of their own. The perfect place to grab a beer/cocktail, nibble on some eats & just waste away the hours in good company. This is how you live the good life.

Gastown isn't just a place to frequent by night but is alive and happening during the bright hours as well. A favourite past-time of my girlfriends and I? Brunching. We love discovering new places in new neighbourhoods & we found a gem in Gastown one Saturday morning.

We'd heard a lot about Acme Cafe but hadn't gotten the chance to come out and try it. Brightly lit interiors, comfy booths and an open concept - they've got a good vibe going on. Unpretentious, relaxed yet bustling with activity, they've got something good going on.

Hearing good things about the sandwiches at Acme I settled on the Veggie Panini.


Veggie Sandwich ($10) with Brocolli Slaw & Chips: Goat cheese, portobello mushroom, peppers, zucchini, sprouts, sun-dried tomato basil mayo. Ciabatta panini grilled.

If there's something you should know about me, it's that I love veggies. So you may not all agree with me when I say something is scrumptious. I'm not one of those kids that grew up being force fed veggies - I readily welcomed them.

 The brocolli slaw was probably my favourite part - creamy dressing with a little tangy bite it had a great, fresh crunch to it.

The veggie sandwich itself was jam-pack filled with grilled vegetables. Slabs of grilled zucchini and sun-dried tomato basil mayo were to die for. I found the raw bean-sprouts a bit odd tasting and a little too raw combined with the overall sandwich but some may find it refreshing.

Chips... well they were chips. A tad on the salty side but really nothing new. Buy a bag of Miss Vickies original chips and voila! You have your Acme Cafe side of chips.


A little too stuffed to consume anything more but their pastry window was quite enviable. I'm going back for sure and stuffing my face with homemade goodness.

Do Acme. It's a good thing.



Acme Cafe
51 Hastings Street West
Vancouver, BC V6B 1G4
604.569.1022
http://acmecafe.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment